Even though Java 6 is installed, Java 5 is still used by Mac OS X. You have to activate Java 6 by yourself. To do this, you need to run :
Applications -> Utilities -> Java -> Java Preferences
You will get the following window :
You just need to change the order of Java versions to use (Java application versions). Once Java SE 6 is on the top of the list, it should be activated.
- Download tomcat 6 from http://tomcat.apache.org/.
- Unzip the download and rename the folder from "apache-tomcat-6-0-32" to something simple like "Tomcat".
- Move the folder to the root /Library directory (or somewhere else convenient). Tomcat is installed.
Starting and shutting down Tomcat¶
- To start tomcat run startup.sh found in /Library/Tomcat/bin.
- To stop tomcat run shutdown.sh found in the same bin directory.
Verifying Tomcat installation¶
To verify that tomcat is installed properly, start the server as explained above, open the web browser and access the following URL.
You should see the default Tomcat welcome page as shown here.